This free online process allows Director IDs to be issued within minutes and is available to directors within Australia and overseas. Director IDs can still be obtained through a paper form as well.
What are Director IDs?
A unique 15-digit identifier which stays with a company director for life. A Director ID follows a company director through different roles, business and countries.
The purpose of a Director ID is to provide greater security around company director identification and protect against illegal activity, such as phoenixing, as well as streamline experiences and create a fairer business environment.
Who needs a Director ID?
Those requiring a Director ID are all eligible officers of:
- a company, a registered Australian body or a registered foreign company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth);
- an Aboriginal or Torres Straight Islander corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth).
An eligible officer is someone who is appointed as a company director or an alternate director.
Timeframes for getting a Director ID
All eligible officers must now hold a Director ID.
- For a person who became an eligible officer on or before 31 October 2021, you must apply for a Director ID by 30 November 2021.
- For person who became an eligible officer between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022, you must apply for a Director ID within 28 days of your appointment.
- For a person who becomes an eligible officer on and from 5 April 2021, they must apply for a Director ID before their appointment.
Applying for a Director ID
An eligible officer must apply for their own Director ID.
This process can be completed online at https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number/apply-director-identification-number
Alternatively, paper lodgement can be done through completing this form https://www.abrs.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-10/Application_for_a_director_identification_number.pdf
If you need assistance with completing your application for a Director ID, or you are not sure if you are an eligible officer, please contact our Corporate Law team today.