Brendan is a Senior Associate in the dispute resolution practice. He has a wide range of experience in commercial matters and specialises in resolving body corporate disputes.
In respect to body corporate matters, Brendan handles by-law enforcement, maintenance and management rights disputes, enforcement of adjudicator orders, levy recoveries, disputes regarding access to lots and records, water leak claims, remedial action notices, recovery of costs from lot owner damaged common property, on-supply of electricity disputes, strata insurance claims and termination of management rights.
In respect to commercial matters, Brendan handles estate disputes including family provision applications, lease dispute including non-payment of rent and make good, fencing disputes, residential tenancy disputes including eviction of tenant, defamation claims and costs assessments.
Recent examples of successful outcomes include:
- Removal of deck constructed on common without Body Corporate consent;
- Settlement of large management rights dispute regarding failure to exercise an option;
- Recovery of over $150,000 levies owed by a single lot owner;
- Resist lot owner application to prevent Body Corporate accessing lot for repairs.
- Settlement of multi-million dollar estate claim by dependent;
- Orders for eviction of delinquent tenant;
- Resist defamation claims and obtain apology from defamatory persons for clients;
- Defend claim by tenant against landlord in multiple jurisdiction including costs order.
He understands the intricacies of litigation having acted in various courts, tribunals and other forums for individuals, companies and bodies corporate.
Brendan’s curiosity and educative approach to the law enables him to produce meaningful results and tailor the dispute process to clients’ needs. His experience and knowledge allows him to turn issues into possibilities, quickly discerning the central issues to be resolved.
An avid learner, Brendan is currently studying a Master of Laws at the University of Queensland focusing on dispute resolution and litigation courses, with an expected completion in 2020. Brendan is on the Management Committee for Research and Policy House, an incorporated association aimed at validating policy proposals through industry and academic criteria. He is also a Semester Teaching Fellow at Bond University, providing his insights into evidence, corporate and legal profession courses.
In his spare time, Brendan actively participates in community events, supporting local groups through charitable organisations. He is always keen to explore the outdoors with his growing family.