An accomplished lawyer spanning many areas of law, Monica has more than 10 years of experience helping clients navigate complex legal issues.
Monica holds a Juris Doctor, Bachelor of Arts and Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice. She was admitted as a Legal Practitioner to the Supreme Court of Queensland in 2011 and the High Court of Australia in 2013.
Her expertise covers the following areas:
- Industrial Relations, Employment Law, and Workplace Health and Safety requirements gained in private practice, employer associations, and governmental entities (including the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland, Australian Business Lawyers & Advisors, Crown Law and the Local Government Association of Queensland Ltd);
- Representing both body corporates and lot owners in all aspects of community management matters in Queensland, inclusive of QCAT claims, adjudication applications, and contractual issues; and
- Acting for clients in commercial, property and construction matters.
Monica prides herself on establishing and sustaining strong long-term client relationships, ensuring the best possible outcomes for her clients.
Examples of her expertise include:
Drafting documents tailored to her clients’ requirements and advising on employment contracts; independent contractor arrangements; labour-hire agreements; workplace policies and procedures; individual flexibility agreements; employee performance management; intellectual property protection; confidentiality and restraint of trade provisions; redundancy processes, packages and entitlements; and deeds of settlement and release.
Providing guidance on Modern Award applicability, interpretation and compliance; enterprise bargaining and enterprise agreements; union rights of entry; and managing industrial action.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Providing representation in both state and federal jurisdictions with respect to a wide range of actions including: adverse action/general protections; unfair dismissal; unpaid wages and breach of Modern award provisions; bullying applications; sexual harassment; discrimination; breach of contract;
- Obtaining successful tribunal and appeal orders in favour of body corporate clients;
- Securing favourable settlements on unfair dismissal and general protections claims for employer clients;
- Assisting with the defence preparation in the matter of Pearson v State of Queensland (Stolen Wage Class Action) with the matter now being settled for $190 million;
- Negotiating construction contractual terms advantageous to client for project valued in excess of $50 million;
- Negotiating successful release of senior executives from unfair and unreasonable restraint of trade contractual obligations; and
- Obtaining favourable anti-bullying result for executive clients.