Written by Personal Injuries expert Mitchell Clark

If you suffer an injury as a result of a motor vehicle accident and the accident was not your fault (or it was partially you fault), you may be entitled to claim compensation.

Claims are made against the Compulsory Third Party Insurer of the vehicle at fault, not the driver who caused the accident.

We all have CTP insurance as it is included when we pay our car registration.

The CTP Insurer is identified by conducting a registration search of the relevant vehicle.

If successful in proving fault, the injured person can claim damages which may include amounts to cover items such as pain and suffering, lost earnings, medical and rehabilitation expenses, future lost earnings and home help.

Possible scenarios where a person who is injured in a car accident might be entitled to claim are:

  • If the vehicle in which the person is travelling is hit from behind by another vehicle;
  • If another vehicle fails to give way and turns across the person’s path;
  • If the person is a passenger in a vehicle where the driver is at fault (single vehicle accident or otherwise);
  • If the person is a pedestrian who has been hit by a vehicle;
  • If the person is a cyclist who is hit by a vehicle or where a vehicle has turned across the cyclist’s path and caused the cyclist to take evasive action and fall.

There are many more scenarios and strict time limits apply. Please call on 5539 9688 or email to mitchell.clark@mba-lawyers.com.au to talk with our Mitchell Clark about making a claim.